The police said on Sunday it has invited senate president, Bukola Saraki over the April 5 multiple bank robbery in Offa, Kwara State, during which 33 persons, including nine policemen, were killed.
Police spokesman, Jimoh Moshood also announced the arrest of Yusuf Abdulwahab, the chief of staff (COS) to Kwara Governor Abdulfatah Ahmed and Alabi Olalekan, his personal assistant, political, as investigations over the gruesome robbery.
The police claimed five of the bandits arrested and who have made confessions during interrogations indicted the senate president.
The police therefore wanted to interrogate the senator, who is the number three person in the order of protocol in the country. The police did not give a specific time they wanted Saraki to report.
“The Senate President, Senator Bukola Saraki is being invited by the Nigeria Police Force to report to the Force Intelligence Response Team office at Guzape, Abuja to answer to the allegations levelled against him from the confessions of the five gang leaders, namely; Ayoade Akinnibosun, Ibukunle Ogunleye, Adeola Abraham, Salawudeen Azeez, Niyi Ogundiran and some of the other 17 suspects arrested for direct involvement and active participation in the Offa bank robbery and the gruesome killing of 33 innocent persons which include some pregnant women and nine police personnel,” Moshood said.
The police in the statement appeared to have dropped hints on what they wanted to ask Saraki about, as they claimed that the five men, who were the leaders of the bandits admitted in statements that they were political thugs of the Senate President, Federal Republic of Nigeria and the Executive Governor of Kwara State, Abdulfatah Ahmed.
The other hints dropped were the recovery of one Toyota Prado Jeep with registration number 19KWGH belonging to the Personal Assistant, Political to the Governor of Kwara State and a sticker plate number with inscription “SARAKI” “Kwara, State of Harmony.”
According to the police: “The five gang leaders further confessed during investigation that they are political thugs under the name Youth Liberation Movement aka ‘Good Boys’ admitted and confessed to have been sponsored with firearms, money and operational vehicles by the Senate President, Senator Bukola Saraki and the Governor of Kwara State, Alhaji Abdulfatah Ahmed.”
Police explained why the Chief of Staff and the Personal Assistant to Governor Abdulfatah Ahmed were also arrested.
“A Lexus jeep GX-300 (ash colour) with a sticker plate number with inscription “SARAKI” “Kwara, State of Harmony” used by the gang leader (Ayoade Akinnibosun, during the bank robbery and the killing of the 33 innocent persons was taken to Government House, Ilorin on 16th May, 2018 where the sticker plate number with inscription “SARAKI” “Kwara, State of Harmony” was removed before another plate number (Reg. No. Kwara, KMA 143 RM) registered in the name of Ayoade Akinnibosun the overall commander of the Offa bank robbery was then attached to the vehicle to cover up the identity of the said vehicle.
“The exhibit vehicle was subsequently recovered from the premises of the Ministry of Environmental and Forestry in Ilorin, Kwara State. While the sticker plate number with inscription “SARAKI” “Kwara, State of Harmony” removed from the vehicle was recovered from one Adeola Omiyale who drove the said Lexus Jeep to Government House, Ilorin immediately after the bank robbery.
“The personal assistant (political) to the Executive Governor of Kwara State, Alabi Olalekan, who is privy to information that the police is looking for the Lexus Jeep as an exhibit used in the Offa bank robbery directed one Adeola Omiyale to relocate the Lexus Jeep to Government House, Ilorin. The PA (Political) is currently in police custody and has made useful statement assisting the police in further investigation into the case.
“A revolver pistol and pump action gun were recovered by the police investigation team from the personal assistant (political) to the Executive Governor of Kwara State, Alabi Olalekan’s farm where he directed his brother to hide them after his arrest by the police.
“In order to conceal evidence, the Chief of Staff to the Executive Governor of Kwara State, Yusuf Abdulwahab who has been arrested and taken into police custody, arranged the removal of the sticker plate number with inscription “SARAKI” “Kwara, State of Harmony” from the exhibit vehicle.
The police gave an assurance that it will continue to ensure that the rule of law prevails in every case under investigation and every offender is brought to justice.
Suspects now in police net
• Ayoade Akinnibosun a.k.a AY ‘M’ 37Yrs – Gang Leader (Coordinated the Killings) From Oro, Irepodun LGA, Kwara State.
• Ibikunle Ogunleye ‘M’ 36Yrs – Gang Leader, Killed Two (2) Persons. From Oro, Irepodun LGA, Kwara State
• Adeola Abraham ‘M’ 35Yrs – Gang Leader, Killed Five (5) Persons. From Oro, Irepodun LGA, Kwara State.
• Salaudeen Azeez ‘M’ 49Yrs – Gang Leader, Killed Two (2) Persons. From Oro, Irepodun LGA, Kwara State.
• Niyi Ogundiran ‘M’ 37Yrs – Gang Leader, Killed Two (2) Persons (Latest Confession). From Oro, Irepodun LGA, Kwara State.
• Michael Adikwu ‘M’ 30Yrs – Sectional Gang Leader, Killed Twenty Two (22) Persons, mostly at the Police Station.
• Kabiru Afolabi ‘M’ 26Yrs – Principal Suspect
• Omoseni Kassim ‘M’ 28Yrs – Principal Suspect
• Kayode Opadokun ‘M’ 35Yrs – Principal Suspect
• Kazeem Abdulrasheed ‘M’ 36Yrs – Principal Suspect
• Azeez Abdullahi ‘M’ 27Yrs – Principal Suspect
• Adewale Popoola ‘M’ 22Yrs – Principal Suspect
• Adetoyese Muftau ‘M’ 23Yrs – Principal Suspect
• Alexander Reuben ‘M’ 39Yrs – Principal Suspect
• Richard Buba Terry ‘M’ 23Yrs – Principal Suspect
• Peter Jasper Kuunfa ‘M’ 23Yrs – Principal Suspect
• Ikechukwu Ebuka Nnaji ‘M’ 29Yrs – Principal Suspect
• Moses Godwin ‘M’ 28Yrs – Principal Suspect
• Adeola omiyale ‘M’ 38Yrs. From Isanlu Isin Town, Isin LGA, Kwara State.
• Femi Idowu ‘M’ 34Yrs
• Alabi Olalekan ‘M’ 49Yrs-PA Political to Executive Governor, Kwara State
• Yusuf Abdulwahab ‘M’ 58Yrs –Chief of Staff to Executive Governor, Kwara State
• Two (2) AK47 Rifles
• Two (2) Barrette Pistols
• One (1) Pump Action Rifle
• One (1) Revolver Pistol – In Police Custody in Ilorin
• Lexus RX300 Jeep with Reg. No. Kwara, KMA 143 RM belonging to Ayoade Akinnibosun (Gang Leader) – Used for the Bank Robbery
• Mercedes Benz – Compressor with Reg. No. Lagos LT496 KJA belonging to Ayoade Akinnibosun (Gang Leader) – Used for the Bank Robbery
• One (1) Toyota Prado Jeep with Reg. No. 19KWGH belonging to the PA Political to the Executive Governor, Kwara State – In Police Custody in Ilorin
• One (1) Toyota Camry Saloon Car with Reg. No. LRN 481 FE – In Police Custody in Ilorin
• The Cash Sum of Six Hundred Thousand Naira (N600,000.00) – In Police Custody in Ilorin
• Four (4) Phones of victims recovered
• One (1) Sticker plate number with inscription “SARAKI” “Kwara, State of Harmony”
Banks and police station robbed
• First Bank, Offa
• Guaranty Trust Bank, Offa
• ECO Bank, Offa
• Zenith Bank, Offa
• Union Bank, Offa
• Ibolo Micro Finance Bank, Offa
• Divisional Police Headquarters, Offa