Manchester City left it late to seal a 100-point Premier League season but Gabriel Jesus was the champions’ final day hero as he snatched a 1-0 win deep into stoppage time at Southampton.
City have set competition records for wins, goals scored and points acquired during their march to glory in 2017-18, although little of their usual panache was in evidence during a listless opening half at St Mary’s.
The unlikely 10-goal swing required to put Saints in danger of relegation never looked to be on the cards and Mark Hughes’ well-manned defence coped assuredly with mounting City pressure after the break.
That was until Kevin De Bruyne’s exquisite lofted pass – a 16th league assist of the campaign for the Belgium playmaker – sent substitute Jesus clear to loft a cool finish over goalkeeper Alex McCarthy.
Southampton defender Wesley Hoedt came closest to opening the scoring before the break when he hit the crossbar in the eighth minute, while Dusan Tadic almost settled the match in the hosts’ favour before Brazil striker Jesus signed off ahead of the World Cup with a thrilling last-gasp salvo.
Key Opta Stats
• Man City’s haul of 100 points is the most won by an English top-flight side in a single campaign.
• This is the first time in his career that Pep Guardiola has won 100 points in a single season as manager.
• Man City have won 32 league games in 2017-18 – the most by a side in a single English top-flight season.
• Man City also set a Premier League record for most away wins (16) and points (50) in a season.
• Man City trailed for a total of just 153 minutes in Premier League matches this season – the fewest by a side in a single campaign.
• The Citizens set a new Premier League record for the biggest goal difference in a single season (+79).
• Before becoming Manchester City manager in 2008, Mark Hughes was unbeaten against them in the Premier League (W4 D4 L0). Since leaving, he’s won only two of his 14 league meetings against the Citizens (D3 L9).
• Kevin De Bruyne provided more assists than any other player in the Premier League this season (16). He also set a record for most wins by a player in a single PL season (31).
© Yahoo Sport