Patrick van Aanholt grabbed the goal that kept Crystal Palace in the Premier League and relegated Stoke City.
The defender took advantage of home skipper Ryan Shawcross’s error to net a dramatic 88th-minute winner and clinch a 2-1 win.
The result means it is 13 games without a win for Stoke – a run that unsurprisingly has resulted in their relegation to the Championship after a 10-season stay in the top flight.
Scotland midfielder McArthur had cancelled out Xherdan Shaqiri’s wonder goal on 68 minutes, the Eagles taking advantage of some weak home defending to silence the majority of the Bet365 crowd.
Switzerland attacker Shaqiri had arrowed a 25-yard free-kick into the top corner to give Stoke a 43rd-minute lead, his curling 25-yard free-kick taking a slight deflection off Ruben Loftus-Cheek and into the top corner giving Palace keeper Wayne Hennessey no chance.
Shaqiri’s goal was tough on the visitors who had looked the more threatening team as they sought to get the point they needed to clinch their own survival. Loftus-Cheek had been running the midfield while both Andros Townsend and Wilfried Zaha caused havoc on the flanks.
But the Potters slowly gained a foothold and were rewarded just before half time with Shaqiri’s wonder strike.
Loftus-Cheek had a chance to reply immediately but Stoke skipper Ryan Shawcross cleared.
Palace started the second half slowly but then took control. Stoke defender Erik Pieters held the home back four together following his man-of-the-match display against Liverpool a week ago.
But on 68 minutes the home side were cut open by a flowing move involving Zaha and Loftus-Cheek and McArthur slotted home left-footed from an angle.
Christian Benteke had a chance to put Palace ahead but was denied by Pieters and then Zaha blazed wildly over the bar from 14 yards when he should have at least hit the target.
And four minutes from time Shawcross failed to clear and van Aanholt nipped in to grab the winning goal and seal Stoke’s fate.
It’s a remarkable end for Palace who failed to score a goal or even take a point in their opening seven games and were rescued by Roy Hodgson.
Key Opta stats
• Stoke City have been relegated from the Premier League, ending their 10-season stay in the top-flight.
• This is their first relegation from any division since the 1997-98 campaign, when they were relegated from the second tier alongside Reading and Manchester City.
• Crystal Palace are mathematically safe from relegation, and are therefore the first top-flight team since Liverpool in the 1899-1900 season to avoid relegation despite losing their first seven matches of the season.
• Since beating Huddersfield in his first Premier League match in charge, the Potters have collected just seven points from 13 games under Paul Lambert (W0 D7 L6).
• Crystal Palace haven’t lost any of their last 13 Premier League games against sides starting the day in the bottom half of the division (W5 D8).
• Of players with at least 15 Premier League goals, no player has scored a higher percentage from outside the box than Xherdan Shaqiri (67%, level with David Ginola’s 14/21).
• Stoke have failed to win any of the four Premier League matches they’ve gone in at half-time ahead under Paul Lambert (D2 L2).
• By contrast, Crystal Palace have won three of their last seven Premier League games in which they’ve gone in at half-time trailing (D1 L3).