Lille chief wants probe into Amiens stand collapse

0
356
Source: Getty Images
Source: Getty Images

Lille chief executive Marc Ingla hopes a full inquiry will determine the reason behind Saturday’s stand collapse during their clash with Amiens.

The Ligue 1 club confirmed on Sunday morning that six supporters remain in hospital after a barrier at the front of the stand housing away supporters at the Stade de la Licorne gave way.

Initial reports said three people had been seriously injured in the incident but Lille’s statement on Twitter said the news on Sunday was “reassuring”.

Earlier, Ingla had said: “First of all, I would like to have a very strong thought for our supporters and more precisely for the injured.

“I hope with all my heart that they are well. We are waiting for more precise information. All energy and good thoughts must go to them.

“We also have the right to ask ourselves about the organisational and safety conditions proposed by the stadium and by Amiens.

“We are quite disturbed, we are counting on the LFP (the French league’s governing body) so that the responsibilities are identified for the victims of this accident and so that this can’t happen again.

“It’s pretty incredible that this type of accident can happen today.”

He was also critical of the response of Amiens president Bernard Joannin, who put the blame on Lille’s “ultra” fans for rushing forward when Fode Ballo-Toure put their side in front in the 15th minute – the game was abandoned after the incident and a new date will have to be found.

Ingla added: “Professional football demands a certain number of organisational requirements, and in this context, these statements seem inappropriate and irresponsible. Our fans and our clubs are the victims of the events of the evening.”

© Sky Sports

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here